Whether you’re moving into a brand-new home or a short-term rental, chances are you’ll have to establish utility service. While it may seem like a hassle to turn on service for a short-term location, all services are easily transferred once you find permanent housing.
Most local utility service providers allow online bill pay and specialized payment plans. Before you begin hook-up, make sure you have the following information on hand:
- Contact information from previous utility companies (including phone number, address, account number and where applicable, letter of deposit/credit)
- Details of your place of employment (address, phone, supervisor or human resources contact name)
- Driver’s license and Social Security card
- Your new address and phone number
- Date you need service to begin